10 Clever Tips for the Savvy Theme Park Hopper
Whether you’re on your wish trip, or experiencing the fun of our IAAPA World Passport Program, it is important to remember health and safety while enjoying the parks. Here are a few tips that will help your family make the most of your visit!
- Keep your energy alive – It is very important to stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle and spray bottle fan in order to stay cool and hydrated. Utilize the water fountains that can be found throughout the theme park. Take regular breaks in air-conditioned areas or in the shade. If you feel that you or someone in your group is beginning to show signs of heat-related illness, stop activity and find a cool place to rest and relax.
- Be prepared – Be kind to your feet and wear comfy shoes that you are able to walk in all day. Pack a light backpack full of things you will need; SPF, camera, phone, sunglasses, yummy snacks, change of clothes (in case you get wet). Soft sided coolers are allowed in most parks. Make sure to charge all electronics before your visit, or look out for power docking stations throughout the park. For more great advice, consult our Travel Tips website.
- Remember where you park – Hunting for a lost vehicle is not the way you want to end a day of fun. Take note of where you parked your car, or better yet, take a picture!
- Plan your day – Knowing what shows you want to see and the rides you want to go on, before you get to the park, helps eliminate the time you waste trying to decide on what you want to do. We recommend that families obtain accessibility guides and information at the front desk of GKTW or the Guest Relations desk at any park. Show times and character schedules are available at the front of every park.
- Download the theme park’s app – Theme park apps provide a wealth of information about shows, rides, wait times, transportation and dining. Download and familiarize yourself with the app. It will be helpful tool for you throughout the day.
- Set a budget – Setting a daily budget for your trip is a great way to avoid overspending. Parks accept credit, debit and cash. Pre-paid cards are a great idea since they can be canceled and re-loaded at any time. If you choose to bring cash, only bring what you need for the day. Regardless of how you choose to pay for your in-park treats, remember to keep your purse or wallet close to you at all times.
- Stress the importance of staying together – Theme parks are crowded, so keep an eye on the little ones that may get distracted by many of the park’s attractions. Make sure your family knows what to do, just in the case you get separated. Having a “Meet Up” spot is a smart idea.
- Know what’s available – Don’t forget about the Guest Assistance options shared in your GKTW orientation. The Village Guide and our Pre-Arrival Website are wonderful resources of information. If you are visiting one of the many IAAPA World Passport destinations, know that each park and attraction has different procedures for admission. It is a good idea to contact the park or attraction at least one week in advance of the date you wish to visit.
- Picture perfect – During your wish trip, you receive special photo opportunities at each park which are reviewed in your GKTW Family Orientation. If you have any questions about these opportunities, consult your Village Guide or ask the front desk.
- Have fun – Enjoy your time at the theme parks! Go on thrilling rides, watch enchanting shows, take plenty of pictures and have fun. These are incredible memories that your family will share for a lifetime.
Contributed by Leilani Vaiaoga