With Halloween just a few days away, here’s a quick and easy pumpkin craft that takes much less time than carving a jack-o-lantern. You only need a few items, and it’s a great project for kids! And since you’ll be covering up the pumpkins for the most part, you don’t have to worry if they are only left with less than perfect ones at the store.
- roll of gauze
- hot glue gun and glue stick
- 2 googly eyes per pumpkin
- black construction paper
How to make the pumpkins:
1. Hot glue one end of the gauze to the back of the pumpkin, for me, I designated the side that had some unattractive marks on it as the back.
2. Start wrapping the gauze around the pumpkin, overlapping and criss-crossing as much as you like until you get the desired “mummy look.” If you find that the gauze isn’t staying flat or still, you may want to put dots of the hot glue to hold it in place.
3. Glue or tuck in the other end of the gauze once you’re done wrapping.
4. Hot glue the googly eyes on the front of the pumpkin. I think it looks best if they appear as though they’re peeking out of the wrapping, so you might place one so a tiny bit of it is covered by the gauze.
5. Cut a small semi-circle out of the black construction paper. Hot glue the mouth on the pumpkin.
Congratulations! Your spooky, mummified pumpkins are now ready to greet trick-or-treaters! Happy Halloween!